Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Birthday Schenanigans in Amsterdam, Brussels, and Bruges

This past week I celebrated my 21st birthday with some of my best friends from my abroad program and could not have asked for a better celebration. Instead of a top 10 I have 21 stories from the trip!

1. Easter – Right before we departed for Amsterdam we first had to celebrate Easter and it was the first time ever I was not celebrating it with my family. A few of us got to experience Italian mass at the Duomo that morning and then we came back to our dorm and made a huge brunch feast which included eggs, sausage, fruit, French toast, and chocolate. After that we headed to the park to enjoy the nice weather and celebrate the holiday.

2. Train at 4 am - My flight to Amsterdam was the first flight out of the airport that morning at 6 am... meaning I had to be out of my dorm at 3:45 am to catch the train that would take me to the airport at 4:15. I hadn't fallen asleep till 1 am the night before so it was more of a nap I took rather than actually getting sleep.

3. Hair and makeup at airport - When I landed in the Amsterdam airport we taxied around for 30 min before they let us off the plane. My Wi-Fi wasn't working and I was supposed to be meeting up with two of my girlfriends, Analise and Janelle. I texted them and thought they hadn't landed yet because they weren't responding so I went to the bathroom to get ready for the day since I did not want to do that at 3 am. 30 min later I finally got a text from them saying where we should meet and was able to find them with no problems. I later found out that they had landed before me and had been waiting the whole time... They had also gotten up early so they hadn't gotten ready which meant Janelle still had her retainers in! They were not happy to find out that I had gotten ready... oops!

4. Wrong train - We decided to go right to the Anne Frank House because we heard that if you get there in the morning the line is not too long. We had to take a train from the airport into the city and could not figure out the right train.  We picked what we thought was the right train and then asked a lady if it was right and she said yes. Then right before the doors closed this guy goes you're on the wrong train... He was standing there the whole time when the lady told us it was the 'right' train! Not sure why he waited till the last minute to tell us it was the wrong one.

5. Leave me in line at Anne Frank - We got to the Anne Frank House and it was a two and a half hour wait to get in. Analise and Janelle decided to drop all of our luggage off at our Hostel because it was only 15 min from Anne Frank. When they got there they decided to 'freshen up' since I had already done that the airport. They ended up leaving me in line for almost the whole time! Luckily I had my headphones so it wasn't too bad. The Anne Frank House was such an experience. The house was a lot smaller than I could have ever imagined and it made the whole story real and not just something you learn about in school. I imagined what it would have been like to live in that house for two years and I have no idea how Anne didn't go crazy. I need sun, air and room to run around. The darkness and small corridors mixed with all the people made us all realize how amazing it was that they lasted for two years in hiding. It was also interesting to think about how most girls when they are younger keep a journal but never would you imagine that not only would it be read by everyone across the world but also could change the world.  The most interesting part of the museum was how Otto Frank said the Secret Annex, after the war, was to remain empty since during the war the houses of deported Jews were stripped of their contents, which were sent to Germany. It was to represent the emptiness left by the millions of people who were taken away and never returned.

6. Food - After the museum we realized how hungry we were so we indulged in some Amsterdam specialties... a hot dog and fries which were just what we were craving. Of course we ended the meal with some ice cream and it was so different from the gelato we’ve been getting in Italy. We then went and met our other girlfriend Alex at the hostel who was meeting up with us.

7. Dinner and Drinks - After a little catch up with Alex we made our way to dinner which had been recommended by the hostel. We had to wait about a half hour but it was so worth it. I got mashed potatoes with leek, a sausage, a meatball and bacon. Alex, Analise, and I then went and grabbed some beers at a local pub and sat out on the street talking and enjoying the night. I know I always say this but its nights like these that I will never forget.

8. Keufenhof Garden - the next day we adventured to Keufenhof gardens which my grandma told us we had to visit. Even though it was a bit expensive the views/smells were totally worth the expense. Keufenhof, which is also known as the Garden of Europe, is the world’s largest flower garden with approximately 7 million flower bulbs covering about 79 acres. There were so many tulips and different kinds of flowers scattered throughout the gardens - it was breathtaking. The aroma of the place filled your nose and the bright colors would catch your eye with every corner you turned. Across the garden there were acres of tulips that were privately owned so naturally, we jumped the creek to go take some pictures of these flowers. Unlike everyone else who was walking around the flowers, we stepped through them all and then proceeded to get yelled at by the owner in Dutch who was not happy with us. He was so mad that he actually shooed us out of there.

9. Grocery store - after the tulip gardens we explored the city a little more. Amsterdam was exactly what I expected it to be. Filled with tiny canals, people on bikes, and of course plenty of little shops and food places. We then had to make our way to the train station to get on our train to Brussels but first I wanted to run to the grocery store to get some alcohol since I was turning 21 that night. The hostel told me the grocery store was pretty close so I started walking....it was NOT CLOSE! By the time I got to the grocery store I was supposed to be leaving for the train station. I started searching the grocery store for any kind of alcohol and could only find wine. I found 4 German boys about my age and asked if they knew where the alcohol was.  They said they didn't but when I explained that I was about to miss my train and it was almost my 21st birthday (which required alcohol) they offered to help me search. So there we were, 5 of us foreigners frantically running around this grocery store asking people, who don't speak English, where is the alcohol. We couldn't find any so I ended up grabbing some wine and heading to the checkout. After being asked to see my id (since they apparently care about the drinking age there, which is 18), I asked the worker why they had no alcohol and she said it was downstairs. I SPRINTED downstairs grabbed a bottle and headed to the line that was.... 20 PEOPLE LONG. There was no way I would make the train but I needed the alcohol. I then explained to the people in line that it was almost my 21st, which is a big deal in the states, and I was about to miss my train. They also didn’t speak English (they spoke French and Dutch) so I started speaking French and luckily remembered how to sing Happy Birthday in French! Hearing the song they were able to understood what I was saying and they all let me skip them in line. I got to the front and the man at the counter said how he heard it was my 21st and isn't it a big deal to be asked to see your id on your 21st? And of course I said yes so he he did just that and the whole store thought that was so funny for some reason... Then as I was sprinting out, the entire store, including workers, German boys, and everyone in line wished me a Happy Birthday. After, I had to sprint to the train which we made just in time.

10. Midnight celebrating - That night, after getting picked up at the train station by our airbnb man, Charles, we went to a bar to grab a few drinks and ring in my birthday. I chugged a beer right at midnight and one the way home we stopped at a kebab place  to end a perfect day/night.

11. Breakfast - the next morning, on my actual birthday, I had the breakfast of champions my dad said: A Belgium waffle and a beer.

12. Birkenstock’s– We walked around all morning shopping, eating and checked out the Grand Place which is the center area of Brussels. We have all been wanting to buy a pair of Birkenstocks and ended up finding them at a foot doctor. So here we are… three American girls buying Birks at a Belgium foot doctor. They were quite confused why we were there…

13. Finding Emma - Now Emma had been in Croatia for the past 8 days and was supposed to meet us on my birthday in Brussels. Her dedication to getting to me for my birthday goes above and beyond what any friend should do. She ended up having to travel 36 hours and didn't get sleep but still was able to run and jump on me when we were reunited. She found out that the 8 hour bus she was supposed to take to the airport wasn't running when she needed it causing her to take multiple taxis, buses, a 4 hour stay in a hostel and then a couple hours on a flight. Oh and then another taxi ride into the city of Brussels because she didn't want to take another bus. When I saw her I actually started crying and running to her because I was so worried she wouldn't get there and couldn't imagine celebrating without the fourth member of our group (of course we were missing Annie but she was traveling with her parents).

14. Shopped around and thrift store - After dropping Emma's stuff off at the airbnb and letting her freshen up we explored more of the city and ended up at this thrift store our girlfriends had told us about. I was not in the mood for shopping (shocker I know) but instead was more interested in having Emma try on weird things and just laugh at her. Of course she let me do this since it was my birthday.

15. Birthday Dinner - That night we went to a fabulous restaurant Charles had recommended. I had the Belgium sampler which was two meatballs, one with tomato type sauce and the other gravy. Then I had some type of beef with sauce and some fries on the side. We had the best Belgium beer and then my girlfriends told them it was my birthday and they brought out this huge dessert with a sparkler in it and they all sang me happy birthday.

16. Delirium - After being extremely full from dinner, we made our way to a bar a friend had recommended called Delirium where they have over 2,000 types of beer. My girlfriends had bought me a boa and tiara that they made me wear that night.  I wanted to wear something weird like this little red monkey type hat but they said "We have to be strategic about what we have her wear. Whatever she wears she ends up acting like that." I guess they didn't want me to act like a monkey that night? I went up to the bar to get the first round and asked the bar tender what kind of beer I should get and she said, "For you honey, this kind." It ended up being this pink beer which was cheery flavor and it was fabulous. We were able to meet up with one our guy friends from our program and his friend who is also studying in Milan with us.

17.Fries - after Delirium we decided we needed a little more food in our stomachs so we stopped at the fry shop right by our apartment. Emma proceeded to steal so many different sauces and woke up even with about 8 kinds in her purse. We still have no idea how she stole the sauces considering she must have gone behind the counter and snuck them...

18. Bruges - The next morning we did not leave the apartment till 2 pm.... We quick grabbed some breakfast/lunch at the Asian place and I was somehow able to keep it down. We then made our way to the train station to go to Bruges, a town about an hour train ride from Brussels. None of us could get the machine to work to buy the tickets and no one was helping us. When people did help us they ended up yelling at us in many different languages. It took us 25 minutes to get our train tickets.

19. Starbucks - When we got to Bruges we found heaven: Starbucks. I ordered a caramel frappechino and when it came I tried a sip and it did not taste right. I showed Analise who looked at the side and it had a weird word so we asked the workers if that meant Mocca? One of the workers then realized that his associated had given me 'Mattiew’s' drink and my drink was the next one in line. The lady working was not happy when she found out that I drank a drink and she would have to make a new one. Oops.

20. Ear piercing - We then got to Bruges and walked around exploring the city, eating, taking pictures and of course shopping. I decided that I wanted something to remember abroad/my birthday so I got my ears triple pierced at... Claire’s. Who would have thought this small little city would have a Clair’s. The city of Bruges is so quaint and filled with little streets, buildings. canals, and a lot of carriages carrying people around the city. There was even a park with a pond filled with Swans. Bruges is apparently sometimes referred to as “The Venice of the North,” which I could see because the streets were quite and there were a lot of canals.

21. Mexican restaurant - When we got back to our apartment that night after Bruges, Charles had made us a vegetable quiche, with a salad and fruit. Analise, Emma and I decided to go get some appetizers and a drink after that though. We ended up at this Mexican pub that had the front part open so it felt like we were outside but also inside. We ordered margaritas, the most amazing mac and cheese I have ever had and tapas. We then just sat there and talked with each other. Emma still hadn't gotten a Belgium waffle so we made our way to a waffle shop after and enjoyed it sitting in the middle of the Grand Place square. The next morning Emma and I left before Alex and Analise and headed back to Milan.

My birthday went way to fast and I'm not sure how my birthday next year can top this one. My friends, the places we went, the food we ate, the drinks we drank and the memories we shared will always make this one of my favorite birthdays. I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. So a huge shout out to everyone, across the world even, who wished me a happy birthday and wanted to hear all about it. But an even bigger shout out goes to those who celebrated with me in Amsterdam/Brussels and also those who celebrated with me when I came back to Milan. I love you all and have realized how grateful I am to have the best friends and family not only here in Milan but back at home! Until next time!
Flowers from Keufenhof
Sitting in the middle of some flowers at Keufenhof
Flowers at Keufenhof
My mom said I had to take a picture in the wooden shoes so here ya go!
Little things like a well, a windmill, and creeks where scattered throughout the Keufenhof gardens
Right before we got yelled at to get out of the flowers
A different owner owned these acres luckily
The tulips were HUGE at the Keufenhof gardens
The famous I amsterdam letters
Everyone takes a picture with a letter that their name starts with so I made the letters work for my name
I don't have any pictures with the fries so I'm using the one I took of Alex to show you that I had about 5 of those throughout the week... totally worth the calories
Canals in Amsterdam
Secretly took a picture of Anne Frank's original diary
Streets of Bruges
Right before the ear piercing
Emma took about 50 pictures and my mother loves my face in this one...
Canals in Bruges
More canals in Bruges

A beautiful forest and park we found in Bruges
Belgium is known for their excellent beer so there were thousands of shops just like this one all over Belgium
City Center of Bruges
City center of Bruges
Emma and I chilling in Bruges
Right when I turned 21 in Brussels
My first Belgium waffle
Emma's hat in the thrift store. This picture still makes me start laughing 





My dinner from my birthday and below is the dessert with the sparkler in it


Alex and I

Analise and I
Birthday girl and her pink beer
Emma and I
Couldn't ask for better friends. Miss you Annie!
Last Belgium waffle



No comments:

Post a Comment